I have family that lives in Germany, and whenever we visit, I always get a pretzel, which you cannot get here in Denmark. So try my recipe for soft pretzels; you will not be disappointed.
It is a soft pretzel; the crust is dark and chewy, the inside is white and super soft, and crunchy salt is sprinkled on top.
If you make these pretzels and post a picture on Instagram, please tag me as @foodgeek.dk so I can see your result. Thanks.
Ingredients 12 Servings
- Butter, unsalted 50 g
- All-purpose Flour 650 g
- Water 350 ml
- Fresh Yeast Or you can use 1½ tsp instant yeast 25 g
- Salt 2 tsps
- Water 1 l
- Caustic soda Alternatively you can use 100 grams of baking soda 30 g
- Warm the water in the microwave until it is lukewarm.
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and add butter and salt.
- Put the mixture and ¾ of the flour in your machine.
- Start the machine with a dough hook attached at medium speed.
- When the dough comes together, start adding flour little by little until the dough is a bit moist on the surface but does not stick to your finger.
- Remove the dough from the machine and put it in an oiled bowl, and let it proof for an hour someplace warm.
- When the dough has risen to double size, take it out of the bowl and roll it into a sausage.
- Divide the dough into 12 evenly sized pieces.
- Take a piece of dough and roll it into a sausage that is thick in the middle. It should be around 50 cm long.
- Bend each end away from yourself, cross them, and fold it over the thick part.
- Follow the same procedure for the rest of the pieces.
- Put the folded pretzels in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Pour 1 liter of water into a container that can withstand heat. Pour in 30g caustic soda and mix with a wooden spoon until it is completely dissolved. Please use gloves when handling the soda solution.
- If using baking soda, heat the water in a pan just until before it boils, pour in the baking soda, and mix with a wooden spoon till it is completely dissolved.
- Turn the oven on to 225° C (440° F).
- The pretzels need to be dipped in the solution for around 30 seconds each. Use a slotted spoon to put them in and take them out. You can add as many as you have room for without them touching.
- Make sure to let any excess solution drip off before putting them on the pan.
- Sprinkle sea salt on the pretzels.
- Make a deep cut with a sharp knife in the thick part of the pretzel.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on how dark you like them.