I am working my way through condiments for meat dishes, though in healthier versions. This time it is classic Danish homemade sugar-free pickled red cabbage. It goes great with pork.
When it comes to pickled red cabbage I am pretty conservative. No nonsense as cinnamon or other heavy spices, the sugar has been replaced with sukrin so there are no calories and bloodsugar rises from the sweetness.
Ingredients 1 Servings
- A head of red cabbage 1.5 kg
- Olive oil
- Redwine vinegar 200 ml
- Sugar-free black currant or red currant juice 400 ml
- Slice the red cabbage finely.
- Heat a large pot, when it is warm add olive oil to the pot.
- Fry the cabbage in the oil.
- After it is whilted a bit add the redwine vinegar and bring it to the boil.
- Add the juice and a pinch of salt.
- Let simmer with the lid on for 1 1½ hours.
- Add salt, sukrin and more redwine vinegar to taste. I used around 100g sukrin, but it is a question of taste, so use your taste buds. 🙂
- Sterilize the mason jar by filling it with boiling water. Afterwards pour in a swig of brandy and coat the inside.
- Spoon in the red cabbage and refrigerate. That is how easy it is to make homemade sugar-free pickled red cabbage.
I am crazy about food, cakes, snacks and everything in between. I love to do tons of experiments to find the best recipe, so that you don’t have to.