Tags: comfort food, ground beef, main course, sloppy joes
Sloppy Joes. Well, it might not sound so good, but trust me, done right, it is quite a treat packed full of delicious flavor. This version may have a few more vegetables than the classic version, but it is definitely a classic here at home.
Ingredients 4 Servings
- Ground Beef 10% 500 g
- Heinz Ketchup Use the one with less sugar and salt if possible 150 ml
- HP Sauce 2 tbsps
- Cider Vinegar 2 tbsps
- Chili Powder ½ tsps
- Brown Sugar Sukrin Gold is a great sugarfree alternative tsps
- Celery 1 unit
- Green Bell Pepper units
- Large Yellow Onion 2 units
- Red Kidney Beans 100 g
- Burger Buns Homemade if possible, otherwise get some nice wholewheat buns 4 units
- Slice the onions thinly. You get great results using a mandoline.
- Warm up a pan to medium heat, add olive oil and the onions. Be sure to separate the layers.
- Caramelize the onions until brown. If you like the taste you can add a splash of balsamic vinegar. It will help with caramelization.
- While the onions are caramelizing, clean and slice all the vegetables.
- In a bowl; combine the ketchup, HP sauce, cider vinegar, chili powder, and brown sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beans to a bowl and leave them under the running water for a minute or so.
- When the onions are done, move them to the side of the pan and turn it up all the way. Add the ground beef and brown it.
- Add all the vegetables and mix well. Let cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sauce and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cook while you are preparing the buns.
- Serve on toasted burger buns. Enjoy.